Thursday, January 27, 2011

Alejandro...

Lady Gaga was actually introduced to me by one of my students.  She liked Gaga's songs' "Poker Face" and "Just Dance."  The beat and the crazy way she dressed hooked me on her videos and her songs. 

"Alejandro" reached number five on the Billboard Hot 100 chart.  It has been compared to many other musical artists.  Gaga might have been influenced by ABBA and Ace of Base.  I lean toward this assessment due to something in its stanzas, other than just the name, that reminds me of several ABBA songs.  There is also the use of the name "Fernando," which was what started ABBA's rise to fame.

I LOVE the how she got her nickname.  I do not see or hear any resemblance to the late great Freddy Mercury of Queen.  Yet the nickname derives from the Queen song "Radio Gaga."  An autocorrected text led Rob Fusari, Gaga's producer, to text her with Lady Gaga instead of Radio.  Fusari thinks her vocal harmonies resemble Mercury.  Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta gave us a few earwig tunes in the past few years.  What will be next?

1 comment:

  1. Amy and I were discussing the other day how we used to be shocked by Katy Perry, and her behavior, and outfits. And now we have Gaga, and Katy seems like a middle school crush. Maybe not as exciting as we once thought.

    ReplyDelete